Welcome to Little Oaks Reception Class at St Mary's Primary School
-Whatever you do, do it with all of your heart-
The class teachers are Miss Hallowes (teaching Monday and Tuesday) and Mrs Martin (teaching Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays). We have two wonderful teaching assistants, who fully support children's learning in the class alongside the teachers- Mrs Hazelton and Mrs Langley
We currently have a lovely small class of 19 Reception children.
Adult:child ratios are high, so children thrive in our lovely class!
We have our own Early Years building called 'The Woodlands' which houses the Reception class and the Nursery. Both classrooms have wonderful indoor and outdoor learning spaces, as well as access to the beautiful school grounds.
We believe that the teacher - parent/carer relationship is essential, and we aim to make our classroom learning environment a loving, fun, safe and inspiring place to be. We run events throughout the school year where parents/carers are invited into class to join in with all the fun activities we do!
Supporting Learning at Home: learning to read is an important part of the Reception year, and your child's learning journey. We send reading books, sound books and tricky word books home so that you are able to support what your child is learning about in school.
We also set 'learning steps', which support your child's mathematical development. We work on these every week with your child, 1:1 during their independent learning time. We set a new learning step once we are sure they are secure with the step they have been working on. We communicate these so that they can be practised at home too!
- We have a Star of the Week every week - a child is chosen to sit in a special chair, wear the star of the week badge and do special jobs during the week! The other children all have a chance to say a positive affirmation about the star, which is lovely to hear.
- Achievers Assembly - we hold a whole school assembly every week to celebrate all kinds of achievements. If your child has gained a medal or certificate for an out of school activity or achievement please send them into school with it and they can show it in the achievers assembly.
- Buddies - children have a Year 6 buddy who looks after them for the duration of the Reception year. Buddies will also read with the reception children whenever possible - an activity everyone enjoys!
- Teams - each child joins team or house (Fire, Earth, Air, Water). We hold different events throughout the school year in our teams and win prizes, trophies and special rewards.
- Team Points - each children also receives team points. This contributes to their House point totals but also enables children to work towards winning their own special prize!
We have class rules that we decide on as a class at the start of the year. We call these our class promises.
Little Oaks promises to...
- listen to the teacher and each other
- help each other to learn
- always try
- look after our toys and our classroom
- be kind
- have fun
- be the best you can be
We have a really great team of skilled Teachers and Teaching Assistants - just take a look at our photos!